Sunday 1 July 2007

Research - originally posted thirtieth April

Ack - I don't know where to start!

I've been thinking about selling my writing in various ways for a couple of years now. It seems that people love sending those little gifts with poems/phrases on and everyone I have met (from my old school teachers, through friends and family to random people online) have all suggested I should use my writing more professionally. So, I finally decided to try and incorporate my writing and crafts to make something sellable.

My problem is getting my ideas (of which I have plenty) through the market research and all the legalities of setting up a business, registering it, sorting out tax etc etc... I've looked at the businss link website and am working my way through the information there. Unfortunately, they don't have an office in my hometown so the best I can do is ask them for a callback. I've also looked on Shell Livewire and various other business websites. I think fear of getting it wrong and doing it alone is a major block for me.

So far I have some designs I need to make prototypes of. I am planning on writing a questionnaire (though haven't yet worked out a wide audience to offer it to), need to sit down and write a business plan and also need to work out time frames.

I've tried to be responsible and asked my dad for a set amount I need to bring in to pay rent etc (i.e. how much rent would he be happy receiving). But the response I got was "we'll think about it" and no further answer. Yet last night he said I need to start looking for a job, because this won't bring me success overnight and that if I'm out of work for more than a month people will start to question why.

I know this isn't gonna happen overnight - but I just can't help but worry that if I go into a job again straight away I won't get any further because the jobs I have had so far have asked so much of me I haven't had any energy left in my free time to do much more than sleep. I tried applying for jobs in shops etc - but they didn't want me because as a graduate they thought I was far too over-qualified and didn't even consider asking me for interviews for the most-part. All the jobs that do consider graduates expect a lot. Even the nursery, where I didn't need to be qualified, was really demanding.

I'm not asking to stay out of work - I just don't know how to balance work and setting up a business. I considered using my languages to teach independently - and although this would be good for me and there is a big market for it, there is an awful lot of research, planning etc to put into it and I don't want to take up my free time like that.

I'm a little confused right now and struggling to see the way forward step-by-step which is what I need. Today is a day of trying to work out a structure and work out how much I can put into this venture... after all, I may be single and free of many responsibilities - but I still don't want to take advantage of being home and not bring in any money.