Wednesday 13 December 2006

German!!

After reading the most wonderful news over on Cherry's blog and how it all happened in Vienna I became very reflective about how very long it's been since I really spoke some German. I miss German and reading about the Christmas markets only strengthened my yearning for the days when I used to speak it all day, every day!

So, I went on gumtree, looking for maybe a German community here in Cambridge. No luck on that front - but I did find an advert for a language exchange network where people who want to improve their skills in one language in exchange for support in their own for someone else can advertise what they're looking for.

I was trawling through the adverts thinking "oooh she sounds interesting" and "wow he comes from Berlin - I miss Berlin!!" when I came across one for a guy who is currently living in Scotland and wanted to practise his English in return for help with German. Sounded good to me!

So I added him to my skype - thinking it'd be days before we got chance to chat, if ever...

5 minutes later I'd received a reply from him and we spent the next 3 hours chatting away - all in German... oh am I in heaven or what!!! Even being rudely awoken in the middle of the night by a coughing fit has done nothing to dampen my spirits... and all because I got to speak a little bit of German...

It's amazing what can make you happy, isn't it?!

No comments: