Thursday 22 February 2007

Indi


Here's a little story I wrote a couple of weeks back based on the picture above which was drawn by Brian Froud. I love Brian Froud's work - it is just so magical and I find I can look at a picture of his and just know what each Faery's personality is like. I'd love to continue writing stories based on his work - so let me know if you like this one or not.

Indi

Katie watched as Indi passed by, muttering to himself about bananas and apple pie. He walked erratically, changing his step and tempo, as if waltzing to first a foxtrot and then a tango – never quite getting the dance right. He would stop and bend his head in frustration, muttering deeply and shaking his head as if trying to shake out his thoughts. Then he would suddenly jump as if someone had lit a firecracker under his bottom and fast as lightning he would scarper further along the track, only to turn around in confusion as if he had lost his way. Looking for all the world like he had no idea where he was going or what he was doing, Indi spun around in a wide, uneven circle, head turning, trying to look in every direction at once. It was exhausting to watch, not to mention how dizzy it made Katie feel.

“What is wrong with him?” she asked her companions. “Shouldn’t somebody go and help him?”

“Help Indi?!” cried the rabbit, “why nobody can help Indi. Even if you try and help he can never decide whether you are telling him the truth or not. He’s not very good at making decisions, is our Indi!”

“But why?” asked Katie, concern etched upon her face.

“At the dawn of time Indi was given the task of helping those who had decisions to make. At first he was very good at it. Always stepping in and showing people both sides of the situation and letting them make up their minds. But as time went on people became far more indecisive and poor old Indi became bogged down in even trivial decisions – like should he wear his ivy slippers or the oak ones? Poor old Indi – he cannot help it. As long as there are indecisive people in this world, he will be as confused as ever!”

“How awful!” cried Katie, tears welling in her eyes. “But surely there is something we can do!”

“Of course there is,” replied the toad who had until now quietly watched Indi wander from tree to tree and rock to rock in search of an answer. “You can make sure that you are more decisive. Don’t let the little things bring you down – save the drama for the big things. And even then make a decision and stick to it. The more people who live like that, the better it will be for Indi.”

“Excuse me, oh I am sorry, you look busy I shouldn’t bother you, oh but I must, mustn’t I?” this was Indi who had staggered over to the group in order to ask them a question. “Oh really I must…”he muttered to himself

“Indi, please, what is it?” asked Katie, placing her arms around him and making him sit down beside her.

“It really is very important, I just cannot decide what to do, you can help me can’t you?” he looked at her, his eyes begging.

“Of course, what is it, friend?”

“Friend, she called me friend” he giggled, blushing furiously, “ahem… where was I? oh yes, it really is important you know. Yes of course you do. But wait, it might not be important to you at all… oh what should I do…” he wailed

“Indi! Just say it!” Katie said, hugging him tight

“Oh,” he sighed – as if he didn’t quite know what to make of her affection, “Do you know what I should have for tea – bananas or apple pie?!”

No comments: