Thursday 22 February 2007

Quick catch up

Ok so here's what's basically happened in my absence:

I have been pushing my nursery for a pay-rise. My UC has told me that she'll fight for it for me as she doesn't want to lose me but 3 times I've asked her now and it's always (I'm waiting to hear back from...) so I'm currently looking into other jobs. I hate to think of leaving the nursery - especially as they are making loads of changes for the better now and I have less issues with the standards of care. We've had loads of people come in and have been working with a girl who has worked for our company for 6-7 years now and she is appalled at the state of our nursery and how we all think it is the company that is to blame. Apparently a lot of the problems and weirdo rules have actually just been created by our particular nursery - so we now have tons of equipment on order, a housekeeper, more staff etc But still, without the money, I can't afford to work there- especially as this month I'll be 3 days down in pay due to this flu I have. So I am looking for other work and once I find something I shall hand in my notice - who knows they may up my pay when they know I'm serious - apparently they have done that before when people hand in their notice. But I can't take that risk without having somewhere to go to. I'm currently looking into teaching English as a foreign language as I have my language degree and Cambridge is a major centre of international language learning.

I've sold a few items on eBay :o) One customer has even returned for more!! Whoooo!! That is very exciting!

My room is an absolute tip again *sigh*... one day I will be a tidy person lol

One of the parents at nursery started to teach me some Spanish - and as rolling your rs is incredibly important in Spanish I felt the need to finally crack this skill. The Russians roll their rs too (and some Germans) but it is not crucial to understanding as it is in Spanish. In Spanish you roll a double r making pero (but) distinguishable from perro (dog) for example. So I looked up tutorials online and spent the whole evening the other day trying to crack it - I sounded like a fool and was glad neither of my housemates were around lol. But suddenly I did it!! Not for very long but I did do it!! Which gives me hope that with some practise I will finally crack it! You have no idea how much this pleases me as I have been trying to roll my rs since I was a child and had become convinced I was lacking some vital aspect which allowed a person to do so! Even my tutors at uni couldn't teach me how to do it.

I met another guy online and we met up for a drink the other day. He was very sweet and is into Buddhism so we had an interesting chat. We may meet up again and we may not - it doesn't matter to me either way - it was just nice to get out for once... I'm still trying to make friends around here.

I had a huge argument with an old friend the other day based upon trust. I had trusted him with some really important stuff - things I have kept inside for years - and he completely used that information in a way I felt was entirely inappropriate and betrayed my trust. This was a turning point for me, though, as until very recently I'd have let myself be walked all over and just let it slide - deciding to turn around and tell him how much it hurt and how wrong his actions were, imo, was terrifying but also incredibly liberating... I was finally able to show a vulnerable side of myself but remain strong and aware.

I found out my Great-Aunty has Pancreatitis and it is looking very much like she is not long for this world. This saddens me because I haven't seen her since before I started uni and haven't spoken to her on the phone since my second year - although I have sent her birthday/Christmas cards and kept up-to-date with her news via other family members. It just brought home again how far I am away from my family - well it's not really that far but I can't just pop home for the evening. It is making me realise that I did need to leave home and I am happy where I am - but there are, as in most things, advantages and disadvantages. Makes me appreciate the incredible sacrifice my friend made to emigrate to Canada to be with her husband and possibly not see her parents much ever again and other people I know how move around lots. Don't get me wrong - I know my situation is nothing compared to theirs - but it makes me think of them...

The staff at the hospital canteen have started automatically giving me staff discount, even though I don't work IN the hospital or FOR the NHS. Bless them! They also greet me everyday and ask how I am. It's nice to be recognised sometimes :o)

I think that's it...

No comments: