Sunday 11 March 2007

I wanna be a yarn girl baby...

...sung to the tune of "I wanna be a cowboy baby" (I dunno who sang it I just remember it from my friend's mp3 player in Russia lol)

Around this time last year I decided I wanted to learn to knit (again) and so I bought some wool and began teaching myself the basics. I got fairly good at knitting squares but that was quite boring and it seemed to take me quite a long time to get anything done. So then I tried learning crochet - but didn't have much luck (mostly due to using 100% wool I think). Anyways after various attempts I discovered how easy crochet is - well the stitches are easy - getting a steady tension and the correct gauge is gonna take me a little while.

So as mother's day is coming up I thought I'd try the washcloth pattern - so I toodled off down to Robert Sayle today (the only John Lewis in the country as far as I am aware which has its own name - typical!) and bought myself a range of beautiful 100% cotton yarns from Patons.

I started on the washcloth pattern with my brand new crochet hook (part of a set I ordered of good old eBay) and was doing so well - I discovered that, as with knitting, by using a larger sized hook for my first row I avoided having a very tight first row and then much looser second and third rows...

I got through the pattern guide for rows 1-6 and then suddenly row 7 stumped me *pouts*. I have sat here and tried to figure it out, tried to work out where I am going wrong and why I keep having to undo and redo my stitches but I just can't understand it *sigh*. So I am awaiting a reply from my crocheting friend to give me some guidance... *drums fingers*

I decided I would also try something in a round and found a cool pattern for a table cantrepiece in the shape of a daisy :o) So far, so good - I managed to crochet the round for the centre of the daisy with two different types of yarn and two different hook sizes - but each time I ended up with a few more stitches on my final round than the pattern called for - I am not quite sure where I keep going wrong *shrugs shoulders* But I'm sure I'll figure out a way to adjust the rest of the pattern to suit it.

So I'm gonna go do my chores - like put my uniform in the wash for tomorrow and do whatever it is which is on the cleaning rota and try and tidy my room because I have been far too lazy and haven't even started yet and I must cook some dinner - but then this evening I am gonna come back to the crochet and see what I can figure out.

Oh and also (I almost forgot) I found a candle making kit and two beautiful glass bowls in Oxfam so on my days off I'm gonna have a go at candle making and I'm gonna put the glass bowls aside and bring my glass paints back after I visit my family next week and have some fun decorating them. I do love to make pretty things *sighs blissfully*

No comments: