Tuesday 6 March 2007

24 hour prayer

I'm currently trying to organise a 24 hour prayer session online with friends from around the world. We did this in my first year at uni - the Hall Fell(owship) in my Halls of Residence got permission to use one of the rooms for the weekend and took all the furniture apart from the desk and a chair out of the room, kitted it out with fairy lights, candles, cushions, a prayer board, pens, paper and bibles and had hour long slots which people could go in and pray for. I remember ending up on the 3am shift and the fire alarm going off in the middle of it. As the fire alarm went off most nights I stayed put lol (I got told of once by the firemen for doing that, but seriously I think there would have been enough commotion if there really was a fire that I'd have known!!)

Anyway I decided this would be something I would like to do again and posted about it on the online forum I post at and there is a fair amount of interest. We are aiming for 24 hours non-stop prayer around the world on Sunday 18th March. And as it was my idea and my enthusiasm for organising things like these I am the one left to organise details, plan the slots etc. I just spent the last half hour trying to work out time zones and when British Summertime and Daylight Savings begin/end and which countries use these etc. It doesn't help that some websites differ on what information they give out. I eventually opted for the GMT website as I assumed this would be the most likely to be correct.

So to make the most of the time zones (as we have participants from Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Britain and the US) we are beginning at 6am GMT on Sunday 18th March and going through until 6am GMT Monday 19th. I am soooo excited!

I was wondering if anybody would like to join us? We have opted for half hour slots as we know some people find the idea of praying or meditating for an hour rather daunting. However there is no limit on how many slots you do nor how spaced out over the 24 hours they are.

I've suggested that people also contact me with issues or people they want to be prayed for/about and I will ompile a list and pass it around for people to look at. I then suggested (due to my experiene at uni) that each participant be aware of who is praying when so that they can offer a prayer for the person prior to them at the beginning of their session and one for the person following them at the end - so that each participant receives loving thoughts and prayers too.

So if it's something you'd consider joining in with or you have an issue or person you'd like to be prayed for, please leave a comment or email me (address in profile). Alternatively simply think of us during those 24 hours :o)

No comments: