Wednesday 30 July 2008

What kind of blogger are you, and what kind would you like to be?

This is a question I have been pondering about myself lately. I never set out to write a blog - I'd tried many times in my childhood to write a diary and because of my excessively detailed descriptions my hand began to ache so much I'd get fed up and quit!!

You see, I had quite happily become an internet addict - surfing the web for information, stories, ways to amuse myself, new friends etc - in fact for a long while I spent more time talking to my online friends than I did my real friends because my uni work meant I was on the computer so often it was just too easy to log onto the forum I was a member of. Yet I never really discovered the world of blogging until my final year at uni.

I was looking for information on possible child-related careers and stumbled upon a blog following a link about Hypnobirthing - from then on I followed blogroll after blogroll and I was hooked. At first I was a lurker - then with de-lurking week (or whatever it's called!) I came out and began commenting on a regular basis. Eventually, I decided to start my own blog - why? Well let's see...

First of all I thought it'd be cool that the people whose blogs I commented on knew who I was - hey if they are sharing their world with me, why shouldn't I share mine? I find nothing more frustrating than reading interesting or amusing comments on someone's blog and having no link to follow to find out who this person is and how I can find more witty and useful writings from them!!

Secondly - I love writing. Period. I always have and always will.

Thirdly - and perhaps most importantly AND most dangerously - I love making new friends, I love receiving mail/comments and I love to feel like my life and ponderings are interesting enough for people to drop by, read and leave me a comment.

Why is this so dangerous? Well because it can become a bit obsessive - am I writing things people will want to read? Is anybody actually reading this or am I talking to myself ? Even more worrying is asking myself, "what kind of blogger am I and what kind of blogger do I want to be?

To answer this I cannot help but look at the blogs I return to again and again - why do I do this and only frequent other blogs every now and then? And do I have these qualities myself or am I completely different? Do I wish I were more like them or do I like my own style? Let's see:

Most frequented blogs:

ReDinkyDink - one of the first blogs I ever found and I cannot tell you why I like it so much I just do

Sugar and Ice - I just love Chas and her posts - so honest and open and down-to-earth - and who could not love the updates about LG?

Cherry Menlove's Blog - well what can I say? I just love Cherry's blog (like so many of her readers - you only have to look at her comments lis to see how popular she is!) I cannot help but feel nostalgic and at the same time dream of the future I hope I'll have when I read about Cherry's homemaking

Hola Isabel - this was another one of the first blogs I found but I didn't read much until this year because Isabel just seemed way too cool for the likes of me! But I just love her sass, humour and style so much that I am now hooked!

I have been a regular reader of other blogs at different times as my life has changed but these 4 have remained regular ones so much so that I know the addresses well enough to just type into my web browser without relying on my favourites list!

Am I anything like them? Well, not really - I am not really very sassy and although I have a good sense of humour it doesn't quite translate onto the page. I would love to post about homemaking bits and pieces I have spent my day doing but I just never have the time (to do them in the first place, I mean). And I do not have a family - so no posts about gorgeous children. Yet I just love these blogs...

So what kind of blogger am I? I guess I'm honest - too honest sometimes - I think sometimes it'd be better to write to you about some of the beautiful walks T and I have been on and the cakes I baked, and the day we spent with T's niece and the collage we are currently making from old Country Living magazines. But I always seem to end up writing about what is running round my head, what is stressing me etc. Don't get me wrong - I am happy to share these with you all - but is it really what you want to read?!

I suddenly realised this weekend that I hadn't written a Sacred Sunday posting in such a long time, I hadn't visited some of my favourite blogs in ages, I hadn't posted any pictures from our wanderings... and I want to do this. Since being ill and having time to sit and be I realised I needed to change the whole perspective of my life - which started off this whole train of thought... I guess it's not just what kind of blogger I am but who I am and who I want to be.

So tell me, as I continue to ponder this, what kind of blogger are you and what kind of blogger did you set out to be or want to be? And does this equate to who you are in real life?

4 comments:

Claire said...

Amanda, regarding about is this the kind of blog people want to read I would absolutely it is. Keep up with your honesty and if you fancy throwing in a cake that will go down well too.

Clairey xx

Mrs.Smith said...

Hi! You don't know me and I don't know you, but there's nothing like a friendly comment from a stranger. :)

I loved this post about what kind of blogger you are. I never thought I'd have a blog either, but once I started I knew it was the beginning of a long and healthy relationship... All 3 months of it now. Like you, I LOVE to write & always have. Blogs are a fantastic vent for that writing instinct.

I also love sharing pictures with long-distance friends/family... Now that I've started I can't imagine life w/o it. :)

Cheers,
Alisa

this is my patch said...

I was encouraging people to de-lurk on my blogs too, I wonder how many did? A blog is whatever you want it to be, and each one will always attract a certain number of dedicated followers. For me, my blog is a place I can relax and be myself, and if people like who you are, this is a bonus. I rarely share my emotions on my blog, but post about interests, outings, likes and any other subject I feel to be lighthearted. x

Chastity said...

I didn't set out to be any kind of blogger when I started my blog. I hadn't even read a blog before when I started mine. My blog was initially started to help me keep up with my journey trying to get pregnant....did you know it wasn't always called Sugar and Ice....it started out with the title Road to Pregnancy. Eventually, I realized talking about trying to get pregnant all the time was boring, so I renamed it.

Even now, I don't really blog for any specific reason. I often get tired of it and stop posting regularly. I'm going through a spell where I don't really comment much either, which is terrible, I know.