Tuesday 22 July 2008

New job

It's been a long few weeks (months even) and I feel really weak and fragile right now... I'm much better than I was (i.e. I'm not dizzy every second of the day) and have made it back to work each morning (5 hours per day) last week and yesterday but I spent most of the weekend laying around and had to call in sick today because no matter how much I sleep I am just so exhausted and light-headed. I think it's probably worse right now because I got my period and they are getting worse each month now too *sigh*

On top of all this feeling rubbish I was offered a new job. You'd think that'd be great, right? Well it is... but it took me a long time to make the decision to take it - it was a really hard decision to make!! My nursery was offering to make me pre-school leader and there was the opportunity to work part-time and gain a diploma in pre-school care. But then we found out that T's Carpal Tunnel is not bad enough to warrant treatment since it got better when he left plumbing so he now has to retrain in a whole new career. Which means I'm gonna be the main breadwinner for a good few more years yet - meaning however good the opportunities at the nursery sound I have to move on.

Since making the decision I have grown happier with it. I've arranged with the nursery owner to set up some language classes with the pre-school, so I can keep a hand in childcare once a week - who knows where it might lead in the future. I can do this because I'll be working 4 hours less per week in my new job so adding an extra hour is really nothing!! We'll just see how it goes!

So, assuming my health questionnaire goes through without too much hassle and my references check out ok I'll be receiving my official offer soon and handing in my official notice. So by September I'll be the new information assistant at the council's tourist information centre. Great way to use my languages, huh?!

In other news, T and I were looking at houses and despairing over how we'll never be able to afford anywhere bigger than we are now and I happened to look at the house prices in Lincoln (where my parents live). We pay over £600 per month on rent here - that's for a 1 bed flat. We could get an actual house for just over £400 per month in Lincoln - if we paid the same as we pay here we could even have a mortgage on a 2 or 3 bed semi-detached house up there!!! It's quite depressing - so we've decided that when things settle down a bit (i.e. I've got myself settled in the council I'll look for a transfer to the local council up north and then move back there. That way we might now just be able to afford a home but also afford to have kids!!)

Right - enough feeling sorry for myself - I've got the whole day to sit in bed and do nothing - problem is I find doing nothing so hard :o( I think I might go surf the net!

Have a lovely day - I'll be back to posting nicer things soon, I hope!!

1 comment:

Chastity said...

Congratulations on the new job! That's wonderful news!!