Sunday 27 July 2008

I am not married, I am divorced!

No, not really!

I've been learning Italian with www.learnitalianpod.com this weekend. I already knew a few bits from a handful of lessons and a trip over there but I decided if I'm going to be working in the Tourist Information Centre here in Cambridge I may as well take the opportunity to refresh my love of languages. I am already quite fluent in German, and although rusty my Russian won't take too long to brush up. My French needs some work, so that's next on the list, along with Spanish - but Italian is a language I have ALWAYS loved - it is so bouncy and fun!

The lessons are so easy and fun from this site - you learn in context and the words and phrases are repeated so often in each lesson that you cannot help but learn them. This I love!! I spent many years learning languages (11 years in total from starting secondary school through to graduating!) and often became frustrated by how little I was learning. You just cannot learn from lists alone - so I love that these podcasts are so easy. What amuses me the most, however, is that I know how to say I am not married, I am divorced but I still don't know any numbers or how to ask for directions hehe!

It's been great been able to download these podcasts for free and upload them onto T's iPod - it meant I could take a walk yesterday on the common and listen to the lessons in the beautiful weather - I did get a few funny looks when I was repeating the phrases though *blushes* It probably helps that with this weather I feel like I'm in Italy hehe

It's also been good to do because it means I can just listen and respond - no needing to look at books or go anywhere - great for while I'm still recovering from this ear infection - and on top of all that my nursery are setting up a link with a nursery in Italy we have several Italian families and workers at the nursery) and if I'm gonna keep contact with them whilst also working at the Tourist Info it'll be a really handy language to learn - plus who could resist a visit to Italy, for educational purposes, of course!!

Have a wonderful week all!
Ciao ciao!
Amanda xx

2 comments:

Ragged Roses said...

Good luck with the Italian, it is a beautiful language
Kimx

Moonchild Dancing! said...

Awesome! I am 'very' rusty in all languages except English. But, your post has inspired me to maybe take a class or two in Spanish. I've always loved the Spanish language. So romantic.. *swoon*. Peace!