Monday 7 July 2008

The room's been spinning...

..and no I haven't been at the alcohol!

Just thought I'd post a quick update to explain my absence the past few days - I woke up on Wednesday morning (the day of my first holiday since starting this new job and trip to see my parents) to find the room spinning uncontrollably. I spent the rest of that day throwing up and trying to sleep sitting up because every time I lay down the room began to spin yet again 0 *bleugh*

We finally got the doc out at about 6pm to find I had an inner ear infecton (labyrinthitis or something like that) and that this was causing the dizziness and vertigo. She gave my anti-nausea tablets which actually hlped enough for me to fall asleep propped up in an almost sitting position.

Since then I have gradually got better but I am still feeling dizzy and sick and had to stop the anti-nausea tablets because they were giving my insomnia *sigh* and as I was so ill I couldn't even watch tv or read or even look at T for long enough for a decent conversation sleep was my only blessing from days spent looking at the ceiling and counting the hours tick by (this was incredibly hard for me as I am usually on the go all the time!)

I missed my holiday and have called in sick today - we've been taking short evening walks to get me out and about and T's parents came round yesterday and it made me so dizzy concentrating on more than one person that the idea of working in a room full of children all demanding my attention fills me with dread right now - I doubt I'll be back before Thursday at the earliest as even the doctor said although the inital symptoms will go within a week I'll have ongoing dizziness for several weeks *sigh*

But I do believe in everything happens for a reason - this has made me STOP. I'm so busy doing things, even in my planned holiday, that I never stop and just be. I've had to do this and I am beginning to get over my immense boredom and see the beauty in just being. I am also now 100% sure I want to leave the nursery as I just cannot carry on in a place where I can get so ill and not be able to return to work and get no sick pay - I have an interview on Friday at the tourist information centre which is huge in a place like Cambridge. It's working for the council so that brings added benefits and it's more pay for less hours and less responsibility - *whoo*. With my multiple language skills and experience of being a tourist and also foreign worker in several countries I'm hoping I have a real good chance at this role - and it is one I feel I might enjoy as much as childcare as I find tourism highly interesting and always have done (hence my travelling and degree choice).

So please bear a good thought for me on Friday and also that my workplace will be as understanding as they were last week when I ring in sick for their busiest two days of the week.

I'll be back to posting and commenting properly as soon as I feel more normal - but for now know that I am thinking of you all (even though I may not have commented on your blog for ages now I still think of every one of you and wonder how things are going!)

4 comments:

Claire said...

Hope you're feeling better soon Amanda and I will be sending you the most positive of thoughts on Friday.

Clairey xx

mamapé said...

aw hun!! *hug* i do hope you'll be feeling better soon, and that the dizziness doesn't take *that* long to disappear. also, good luck for Friday! have been waiting for you to update so i could see how you were getting on :) what is the new work you were talking about? xxx

Monique Kleinhans said...

You have many good thoughts coming from me!!! I hope you get better soon and still allow yourself time to sit and enjoy the (non-spinning) stillness. ;)

Chastity said...

I know this post is quite old, but I'm just catching up on your blog. I'm sorry you were so ill! Dizziness is not something I'd want to have to endure for such an extended period of time.