Saturday 2 August 2008

How sleeping on a real bed makes all the difference!

After 4 months of sleeping on a mattress in the middle of our bedroom floor we now have a bed *sighs blissfully*

We've been waiting these past 4 months for T's dad to make us the bed he's been promising. He's had the wood for it all this time but never got around to doing it. T went round this week and started trying to make it himself, after I pointed out that I didn't think that lying on the floor was helping my dizziness. This is when they discovered the wood had split and was no good. And this is when T's dad offered to give us T's old bed from their house and replace that one.

So Thursday night I had the distinct pleasure of going to bed in an actual bed and waking up and being able to swing my legs over the edge of the bed and stand up with minimal effort - omg I cannot tell you how happy this made me!!

Yesterday I was in such a good mood - I'd slept well, felt good and I was raring to go. This was very helpful as yesterday the entire nursery (from babies to pre-school) went for a picnic in the park. The children began to arrive at 8am and carried on arriving right up to 9:40 (we'd planned to leave at 9:30) so we had very little time to get everything sorted. The older rooms (who had less to pack up) spent the time helping to make sandwiches etc whilst we in the baby room had an hour and a half to pack everything we needed into the pushchairs and prepare the babies for the trip. I say "we" when what I really mean is "me"... mostly!

You see, the other full-time member of staff (let's call him Phil) had to go home to pick up his road tax because he'd forgotten to put it in his car and was likely to get fined. So someone came from another room and was very helpful in putting suncream on the kids but it meant I had to plan everything myself. I made a list and got going on filling up 8 drinks cups and labelling each one so I knew whose was whose, packing up enough spare nappies and nappy changing supplies to last the 3 hours we'd be out (you never know what'll happen with that many children), setting up the pushchairs, packing in as many spare clothes, blankets and whatnots I could, choosing toys to take *just in case they got bored of the park*... it doesn't sound like that much but it felt like loads!! If I forgot something it wasn't just one child who'd be screaming for something but 8 of them *eeeek*

Eventually Phil arrived but decided I knew what I was doing and left me to it. So when the other member of staff (let's call her Carrie) arrived at 9 (leaving us just half an hour left to pack up) I was in such hyperdrive that when she started asking if we'd done this and done that and how we were going to do this and basically worrying about things I'd already sorted out I got all frustrated and I turned round at one point and literally growled according to Phil *blushes*. And you understand that Carrie is old enough to be my mother, is the room leader and has worked at the nursery for about 8 years now and I've been there all of 4 months, have no qualifications and although I've been acting as her deputy I actually have no right to tell her what to do - lol.

Why am I telling you all this? Well - although I am known to be the "uber-organised" and "encyclopaedic" member of staff, I am usually very good at "asking" people to do things. I never *growl* at people - never!! I think it was the whole bed experience - I was so psyched about having had a truly good night's sleep on a proper bed I got above myself. I felt I could do anything - which is a lovely feeling and made me extra-uber-organised but perhaps is not the best work ethic.

Hopefully it'll wear of soon - I already "boss" T around *sniggers* I don't think he can take much more of it!!

No comments: