Wednesday 20 August 2008

Baking spree and leaving presents

I have finally uploaded the pictures from T's phone so can share the baking joys we've had the past couple of weeks :o)



First was T's birthday. We decided for this one to make a lemon and poppy seed cake, and I trailed the intenet for a recipe I liked the look of (i.e. one that didn't request an obscene number of eggs - what is with recipes these days and piling on the eggs and fussy steps to cakes that used to be so simple?!) Eventually I found this one which worked a treat even with changing the flour for Spelt flour - yum! Here is T making his wish...



I had then planned on reproducing this cake to give to the staff on my last day at the nursery, however on second thoughts I decided to bake enough goodies for the children as well and it just seemed more feasible in my timetable to make up a huge batch of fairy cakes. I worked out how much I needed for the 40 cakes but like the daft thing I am I thought there were 16 ounces to a pound and not 14 so ended up with 18 ounces worth of everything... that meant a quick calculation on how many more eggs were needed (luckily we had enough) and I ended up with 54 ounces of cake mix (well a bit more with the eggs added) and needing 20 ounces of icing sugar to cover them all. In the end I had enough cake mix to make 10 extra fairy cakes AND a small jam sponge for T, much to his delight!! Here is the result of all that baking, which T took before taking up his duties as official smartie-putter-on-er hehe




I iced whilst he put the smarties on (and took pictures like the good boyfriend he is, knowing I'd want to have evidence of all this to share with you guys!)


And then we sat back and enjoyed the fruits of our labour...


T, more than I, seen as though they were made with wheat this time and I needed an official taster - need I tell you how much persuasion he required before taking up that role?!



My last day at the nursery was long and short all at the same time. I knew from previous leavers that the nursery has a tradition of gathering the whole nursery into one room to say good bye and I wanted to avoid this. I didn't want to be reminded I was leaving as I was seriously sad to go and I made it to an hour until I went home and thought I'd escaped. No such luck... Suddenly the entire nursery turned up in our room and I was showered with gifts of wheat-free cakes (which I have complained many a time are too expensive for me to buy for myself), a little me-to-you bear and the following little book and cards...




The inside of the book has pages of drawings made by each of the babies and toddlers I have spent most of my time looking after. I was so touched and barely kept it together! One of my colleagues had made it her mission to make me cry so I wouldn't leave and she very almost succeeded with this one!



Needless to say, I am still getting used to the idea of not going to work there again. It is a very bittersweet farewell as I loved being there so much and I truly feel as if I will be missed as much as I will miss the place, which is very rare indeed. But I am so glad to be moving into a role where my health will not suffer so and we will have the money we so desperately need just to survive. Many people around us have not realised the seriousness of our situation and truly comprehended that when we said we had no money we actually meant we didn't even know where our next month's rent and food would come from. It is a sincere relief to be passing that stage in our lives. I've never had much money but I have also never had so very little.


So now I am half way through my week of transition - time to get used to not working there any more and preparing to work in my new place. I should probably be learning directions and such but quite frankly I'm to busy enjoying the relaxation.


Hope you're all having a good week xx

5 comments:

Moonchild Dancing! said...

Awww! Happy Birthday T! Those cupcakes look beautiful and your cards that you recieved kinda welled me up a little if you must know. ;) Amanda, when you have a chance.. stop by my blog. :)

Simone said...

I bet the children loved those cakes! They look so good lined up on the counter top. I hope you enjoy this transition period before starting your new job.

Claire said...

The cakes look so perfect layed out like that! Love the picture of T and his birthday cake - fingers crossed his wish comes true.

The book from the nursery looks adorable. I love that like that to treasure.

this is my patch said...

A happy belated birthday to T, he must have thought all his birthdays had come at once, even if the fairy cakes weren't all for him! They do look lovely and it is not hard to see all the effort you put into making them. I hope the children enjoyed them, sticky fingers and all! I hope you get through your money troubles, we bought our first home in our early twenties, had no money, no car and second-hand furniture etc, but now we are both well into our forties, you know it was worth it, and times do get better, apart from the feeling of middle age! x

Chastity said...

Umm...there are 16 ounces in a pound :).

The cupcakes are very cute...I'm sure they loved them.