Thursday 10 January 2008

This cooking malarky

I caught the cookery bug over Christmas. For years I have dreamt of being a good cook, but the thought of trying something and getting it wrong and my recipients either starving or being poisoned terrified me... as did the thought I would end up as stressed as I have seen my mum get because I know I am as big a perfectionist as she is *blushes*

However, under the wonderful guidance of T's mum over the New Year I cooked up a couple of dishes for him coming home from work and enjoyed doing it so much that I wanted to carry on and also have a few tried and tested recipes under my belt for when I move in with him later in the year.

So today I got out my cookbook and, not being confident enough to try something completely new, I cooked one of the recipes T cooked for me over New Year. And as my dad is currently in Mexico and my sister in Cambridge it was just me and my mum eating it, so a lot less pressure.

It actually went well... I had my favourite new cd playing whilst I chopped, fried, boiled and simmered and 50 minutes later I had whizzed up a lovely stew type dish made with cabbage, chick peas, butternut squash (which I have NEVER cooked before) and streaky bacon - YUM!

We didn't have any mustard which the recipe called for, so I kinda just added extra black pepper and some mixed dried herbs and it seemed to work (though it wasn't quite as tasty as it was with the mustard it did have a lot of flavour to it!)

I am well chuffed with myself, my first cooking test-run of the year (I'm no counting the time I was with T as this year as it seemed to be a time of its own lol) went smoothly... yay for me. I wonder what I shall cook tomorrow...

2 comments:

Chastity said...

Cooking can be fun sometimes. I'm always excited and nervous when I use a new recipe, b/c you just never know how it'll turn out. The internet is such a great place to look for recipes. I love that most sites let users rate the recipes and leave comments so you know if they're good or not and what changes people made.

Claire said...

Thankyou for your lovely comments on my blog.Your blog is great,I haven't told anyone yet about my blog apart from you and the rest of the forum,we all have a lot in common and thats really nice. So I think I will leave it that way as this is something just for us girls.