Sunday 20 January 2008

Sacred Life Sunday week 1 - life is sacred


I am very excited to be beginning my (hopefully) weekly Sunday posting, exploring the Sacred in my life. Sacred Life Sunday is something I stumbled across at the beginning of last week and thought I would join in with. Too often I find myself having random musings which I find no place for on this blog, so Sundays will be my day for considering the Sacred and Divine. Even more than this, it will remind me to truly value what has been given to me in this life and make me focus on how truly blessed life can be.

And so, I spent most of this week looking forward to this day, but once it arrived I was unsure as to where to begin. I didn't want to write masses that detracted from the sheer beauty of simplicity - sometimes the most sacred things in our lives are the simple things we overlook. It is so easy to become so entwined with the latest scientific theories, fantastic gadgets and sweet-talking guru that we forget that in fact all we ever needed was already in our hands. Life is given to us, without explanation, and the simple wonder of how a grain of sand is formed, the child grows in the womb or the tree blossoms each spring can be all we need to remind us of the sacred blessing that is life.

And so I leave you with this beautiful poem, which I recently re-discovered, that sums up for me the complete sacred-ness of life itself. Enjoy!


Creation

You were made
under the sea
your ear gives you away.

You were made
in the calyx of a rose
your skin betrays you.

You were made in heaven
your eyelids as you sleep
cannot disguise themselves.

You were brought to me
by a giant kite
his wings stir white

on my face still.
Never say you grew
from a seed in my body

the dandelion brought you
the spring brought you
a star with brilliant hands

delivered you
leaving his light in your eyes
as a seal, and a promise.

Jeni Couzyn

4 comments:

Beverly Keaton Smith said...

Hi Amanda, Welcome to Sacred Sunday! What a wonderful photo to capture the essence of new beginnings...also I like the "simplicity" of your deep thoughts...Bev

Chastity said...

Life really is sacred. It's a gift from God that should be truly appreciated. When you become a mother your perspective becomes even more clear.

Claire said...

What a gorgeuos poem, leaves you feeling calm just reading it.
The picture has made me very broody!!! again

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda:

Touching words and such a lovely thing to do, I look forward to your Sacred Sunday postings.

Very best to you,
Pennie