Friday 29 February 2008

Earthquakes and interviews

You've all heard about the Lincolnshire earthquake this week, right?



So, 5.2 is nothing big compared to some of the quakes elsewhere in the world, but for England this is massive. It's caused quite a commotion and mostly because it is so rare most people spent most of the time it was happening trying to work on what on earth was going on!!



I don't think it helped that most people were woken from their sleep so were a bit disorientated to start with, and quakes in Britain (although very common) are usually unfelt or just a quick judder, so quick you wonder if you actually felt it...



I had been suffering from really bad indigestion and had been laying in bed trying to sleep for almost 2 hours and debating whether I needed to toilet badly enough to get out of bed for at least half an hour when the earthquake hit. I had actually just got out of bed and was walking across my floor when I stood on something as I heard a rumbling sound. I honestly thought "OH NO I've knocked something and everyone's gonna be annoyed with me for waking them up!" lol. But then when the floor started vibrating and then jerking right under my feet I suddenly realised that I hadn't done anything, but it still took me a couple of seconds, as the strength of it grew, to realise what was actually happening. It just amuses me the timing, that I'd just got out of bed and at first thought I'd done something - like I could cause the floor to move like that tee hee!!



All in all, although this was a major earthquake for Britain, very little damage was done thankfully. I first thought there must have been a major quake somewhere else and we were feeling the outer edges of it, so I got a huge shock the next morning when I found out the epicentre was about 12 miles away from me and that we actually experience about 200 quakes a year here in the UK... seriously, it's a shock to hear we have quite that many when we probably feel a very minor jolt once every two years 'cos usually they are often but tiny!



Anyway, on to other news...



I've been starting to apply for new jobs, as the academic term here draws near to completion and I will soon be out of a job. T and I are planning on moving in together, and I would much rather walk straight into a new job than be unemployed for whoever knows how long, because I hate being unemployed - I'd much rather be busy!

I started applying to nurseries in the Cambridge area because I do have such a passion for childcare provision and can see myself happily working in the industry for pretty much most of my life. My parents think I'm mad, because I was so ill last time I worked with babies - let's be fair in a nursery with 140 kids aged 3 months to 4 years you're bound to be ill a lot because at least one child has an illness at any one point in time! However, I cannot feel confident about any other career, yet the thought of working with kids or in a child-centred environment fills my heart with so much joy...

So I started sending emails to adverts for nursery vacancies, asking if my lack of specific qualifications would be too much of a disadvantage (as I cannot afford to live on the basic pay again!) My parents were slightly horrified I think that I was considering this again, so my dad sat down with me and helped me look for other types of jobs. I felt so downhearted, I just can't picture myself in anything else... but I applied anyway...

Then suddenly on Tuesday I received an email asking me to an interview next Wednesday or Thursday. I never even officially applied but simply sent an email, explaining that although I had no childcare qualifications I had experience and a degree and would that be ok for applying for the position of helping to run the new creche in the shopping centre. I also sent a further email saying if not could she send me an application form for the role of unqualified nursery assistant, as I would just love to get back into childcare so any position is welcome. But I think I am being interviewed for the position of helping run the creche as this was the email (the first one I sent) that was replied to... I hope it is... because it feels so much like the universe/God saying to me that I CAN have it all (by that I mean a happy relationship, a good job, the chance to move back to Cambridge) because that is where I'm meant to be. Truly I have always felt I should move to Cambridge and when I did I met T... then I have always felt I should be in childcare and I keep coming back to it... I just think everything before, the years of finding out who I am and who I'm not, being miserable and lonely, have all been given to me to allow me to get things out of my system so that I can be who I want to be so badly because I want it so badly because it is what I am meant to be doing... does that make sense?

So, anyway, my interview is next Wednesday at 10am, so I am travelling down Tuesday after work and coming back Wednesday afternoon ready for work again on Thursday. Could you please hold me in your thoughts and/or prayers because I truly feel so positive and joyful at the thought of such an opportunity and it would mean the world to me to have a job I will be excited and passionate about plus the chance to walk straight into it after I finish at the uni.

Thank you xx

1 comment:

Chastity said...

I haven't heard a peep about this earthquake. Glad you weren't hurt though!

Good luck and God bless with the job hunt!!