Tuesday 26 February 2008

And finally...

First of all I'd like to thank each and eery one of you who took the time to participate in this, to those of you who have read my answers and especially to those who offered such beautiful words of support and encouragement to my last post. It all means more to me than I can say!

And so without further ado, here are the final answers.

Lie #5

2. I am terrified of dogs after having been bitten by one as a child. Seriously, even seeing a dog on the tv makes me stomach squirm.

I adore dogs! Actually I adore all animals and whilst it is true that if a dog is extra large and energetic and likely to jump up me and knock me down I get a bit nervous, I am more than happy to go up to random dogs and say hello. I even once had a hug with a Golden Retriever in the sea - he just came bounding right to to where I was sitting enjoying the shallow waves and sat right in front of me waiting for a hug lol.

I used to be quite scared of big dogs as a child, and was chased home by one who thought I wanted to play when I started running to try and get away from him. Man did I scream, my dad came running out to see what all the fuss was about and explained to me that the dog had meant me no harm and all he'd wanted was to play. After that I began to learn that animals often act how they feel and if a dog ran after me barking it was more likely it wanted to play than attack me hehe.

Lie #6

5. I once starred in a local tv production about the history of our town. I was 8 years old and absolutely loved dressing up in all the costumes and playing old fashioned games whilst the cameras rolled.

Nope, never happened. We get the odd thing filmed in Lincoln nowadays, since the Cathedral was used for part of The Da Vinci Code, but when I was younger I can't ever remember seeing cameras around. I'm also not sure I'd have wanted to be in a production, even at 8. Although my Grandad and dad used to film us as kids, so I am pretty used to being filmed, I was a shy child and never liked doing new things like that. I was asked once if I wanted to go and sit on stage during the panto at our local theatre and I said yes but when they came to fetch me I refused to go and my sister went instead hehe.

Lie # 2 (yes - whooops I went straight from 1 to 3 in my first post)

6. I am a keen gardener and can name pretty much any plant we come across at the local garden centre. Even my parents come to me for advice about which plants to buy for their own garden - I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to facts!

I would like to be a good gardener but I'm not... yet. My parents let my sister and I have our own patch of garden when we were children and even bought us our own plants and my grandad made us each a garden gnome but unfortunately I was too scared of worms and spiders to ever get my hands dirty lol.

In recent years I have helped my dad to plant the vegetable seeds and various other seeds but then my life takes over and I forget - I'm not quite there with the whole seeing it through to the end yet. One day I hope I might be, especially as I grew up always having a garden to enjoy, but for now I am pretty useless! I can name some of the more common plants but that's about it.

I'm hoping one day, maybe when I have kids, to grow my own vegetables so maybe then I'll have more of an incentive to actually keep it up because otherwise my kids might starve!!!

And so that leaves the final truth, which is...

Truth # 2

8. I was totally accident-prone as a child and my x-ray file is so large I'm sure I should glow by now. Somehow, though, I never managed to break anything.

Seriously... if I ever have a child like me I might actually cry!! The stress I must have put my parents through is quite awful. In two years at school I'd had two major head injuries. The first was concussion from a chair falling on my head. I was 7 years old and we'd all put our chairs on the desk for the end of the day and I bent down to get my exercise book from the little tray under the desk and the chair fell off and smacked me right on top of my head. I tried not to cry but it sure did hurt. About 4 hours later I refused to go shopping with my parents saying I knew I would be sick if I got in the car - and lo and behold I spent the next I don't know how many hours puking and was taken into hospital for a couple of days with concussion!

The second injury, just a year and a half later, happened when I was playing tag with my friends. The school wall was our "safe space" and I was running towards it when I tripped, flew, and collided head first with the wall. I knocked myself out and ended up having to go to the hospital the day after to get my wounds cleaned out cos I had grit in a graze on my knee. I can tell you that being prodded and having my scabs scrubbed off with cleansing fluid and iodine sprayed on my knee (thankfully not my head) was not pleasant. My mum sat in the corner of the room looking faint, my dad held my hand so tight it hurt and I tried my hardest to be brave but once the nurse moved onto my head (which the doctor had not asked her to do so I wasn't expecting) I gave up and cried.

I also pulled a cabinet full of wine glasses down when I was about 5 or 6. I have no idea how it happened nor how I managed to avoid being either trapped underneath the cabinet or cut to pieces by the broken glass. All I remember is opening the door to get some toys out of the bottom of the cabinet and the next minute my parents running in and realising I was sat on the floor halfway up the living room, next to the fallen cabinet, with broken glass all around me and wondering what was going on. I had a few scratches on my back but that was it. I think someone was watching over me that day!

These are just a few of the wonderful things I put my parents through *blushes* it's no wonder my dad said he was constantly worried the social services would come and take me away. I had bruises all over, and for several years I was terribly underweight due to an eating disorder of sorts. I looked like I might break and seemed to be bent on breaking myself. I was labelled "clumsy" and it was only through investigations into why I had painful joints at 15 that they realised I had a condition which means my joints are too flexible and often move in and out of position, meaning sometimes I would fall over nothing because a hip or a knee would pop out and I would lose my balance. No wonder I always fell over when I tried to run!!

This hypermobility of the joints was and is both a blessing and a curse. It was likely the reason behind a lot of my accidents but also the reason why I managed to never break anything. Seriously, when you hurtle at speed towards a brick wall with your arms outstretched you expect to break or dislocate something like a wrist or a shoulder. I had sprained wrists which were so painful I couldn't hold anything for a few days, but they escaped anything more serious, most likely due to the fact that the joint probably moved out of position and back in of its own accord.

So there you have it - my lies and my truths for all to see. And if you haven't already guessed, the winner is Chas - I have just about sorted out your prize so it will be winging its way to you in the next few days.

Thanks again to all who took part - it's been fun!

2 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

Hi Amanda! thanks for visiting & commenting on my blog ox

Chastity said...

I'm SO excited!!