Monday 18 February 2008

And the truth will out...

Thanks to all those who took part - I've had a wide variety of responses (I don't think anybody guessed the same as anybody else lol) and many who chose not to play 'cos they just couldn't tell... I guess I'm just so good at lying *blushes*

I do have a winner though who got it spot on but I shall keep the winner's identity secret for now!

So let me share with you the first of my truths and lies...

Truth #1

3. I adore sci-fi and was even a member of the sci-fi society at university - I have the hoodie to prove it.

Yep, that's me, a true sci-fi fan! Actually I'm not as true a fan as a lot of people I know - I don't know the ins and outs of the shows, their characters, the actors... I've never been to a convention and I don't speak Klingon...

BUT I do adore watching and reading sci-fi and I was indeed a member of the sci-fi society and my hoodie has the great slogan "Warning: explodes on contact with reality" plastered across the back of it hehe

I'm pretty much one of those people who knows that certain things (like LARP - live action role play, RPG - role playing games, and Munchkin - a card game) exist but haven't the slightest what it's all about (even having witnessed the first and tried the latter!) I appreciate sci-fi but I'm not a true fan... I'm sure many of my friends must shake their head and tut at my lack of knowledge lol

Lie #1

7. I started drinking alcohol at a young age and would probably have been an alcoholic by now if it weren't for a life-changing experience.

I'm glad to see no one thought that this was a truth... like most kids I tried a sip of my dad's beer and wine as a child but never actually drank more than the odd drop at Christmas. When I got into my latter teens my friends started drinking and by the time I got to university it was pretty much expected that I would drink. Too bad I hate alcohol!

That's right, I hate it! I have tried to like it, I have tried to be sociable, I have drunk the various drinks that people have given me in the vain hope that they will be the ones to find a drink that I actually enjoy and prove to me that alcohol isn't that bad... but it just doesn't work.

I dislike the taste for starters... I think the only alcohol I've ever been able to really enjoy has been various cocktails where the taste is disguised and the odd sip of a stiff drink where the sensation of the burn on the throat overpowers the taste in my mouth. But I don't see the point of drinking cocktails which disguise the taste because why not just drink fruit drinks which have the same taste and don't make me a) sleepy and b) sick. And as for the stiff drinks - yeah I quite like the burn on a cold day or when I have a sore throat but I mean a single unit would last me about 4 hours... that's how little of it I can stomach... so why bother?

I don't have an issue with other people drinking alcohol (except for when they get so drunk I end up cleaning up the sick afterwards lol). I just choose not to drink it myself, I don't see the point - when you don't like the taste or the effects there really is no point.

Needless to say, in a family that loves their drink and surrounded by students who live by their drink I was always a bit of a black sheep... that's another thing, I hate nightclubs too - lots of drunken people thrashing around to music I don't like... well you can imagine how often I went on a night out at uni can't you? lol

Lie # 3

1. I always dreamt of being an air hostess since flying for the first time as a child. The uniform, lifestyle and idea of helping people just seemed so perfect. Unfortunately I am 2 inches too short to be accepted onto any training programme.

I have to say I do think that being an air hostess would be a cool job - but I have never dreamt of being one myself. I get travel sick, you see... and although I rarely feel sick whilst travelling by rail or road anymore, I do feel incredibly dizzy and nauseous when I fly. When you have no joy as the passenger then you can pretty much guarantee that you'll have no joy working on a plane!
I did a few times consider a job in tourism, as a holiday rep or something, because of my love of travelling, languages and different cultures... but air hostess was never really an option for me.

Tune in later in the week for more lies and my final truth... and of course the name of the winner!

2 comments:

Chastity said...

Well, so far I'm right...I can't wait to find out the other truth!!

Claire said...

great tag you had, sorry didn't get round to emailing you.
Yes it was a very surreal moment for me and it was very funny plus it showed how normal big wigs really are x