Monday 25 June 2007

The Kindness of Strangers - originally posted 10th April

People are so sweet and wonderful I cannot help but feel blessed to know so many of them! Sure, there are people I don't get along with and those I find irritating at times (and I have no doubt I irritate them too lol) but more often than not it's the kindness of friends and strangers alike which touches my heart and makes me feel so good to be alive!

There is a man who works in the hospital food court who clears the tables and always has a kind word to say to the doctors, nurses and patients eating there, not to mention the catering team! (For those of you who don't know, the nursery I work at is situated on the hospital grounds). Each day I'll see him somewhere and occasionally we'll stop and have a quick natter. He once told me he saw me waiting at the bus stop and was going to come and talk to me but saw I was with friends and didn't want to intrude - bless him.

Today I saw him again and he told me that each time he sees me I brighten up his day. "How do you do that?" he asked me. "How is it that just seeing you, always looking so cheerful, makes me feel happy?" Awwwww shucks - I didn't quite know what to say to that. I told him that unfortunately he wouldn't be seeing much of me soon because I'm leaving to go back "up north". He asked me if it'd be ok for him to buy me a little gift and a card - how very sweet of him!! I only know him in passing!

But this just reminds me of all the times complete strangers have helped me out too. Once, as I was travelling back through London with a great big rucksack on my back, a complete stranger offered to pay for my chocolate bar when I realised that the little cafe at King's Cross was far too expensive and I only had enough money to buy the essential bottle of water with. He simply put his hand in his pocket, held out a handful of coins and said "take what you need!" Kind doesn't even begin to explain how wonderful a gesture that was!

Another time I was travelling by train with my mum and she was really panicked that we wouldn't make it on time as the ticket queue went on forever. I told her not to worry - we'd be ok. Then, the lady in front of us told us we could go in front of her, cutting our waiting time just enough to give us time to buy our tickets and get a seat on the train without running for it!

I could go on... but you get the picture!

It's this kindness of strangers that inspires me to go that extra mile to be there the best I can for my friends and try to offer at least a smile to those I meet. I may not always succeed - but it feels just as good to give as to receive and it's always worth the effort! Sometimes I doubt myself and the difference I make by being me and doing my best - and then suddenly something like the conversation I had with this man today happens to remind me that I do make a difference - even differences I am unaware of!

How wonderful to know that the actions we take can affect those around us in such wonderful ways! I am feeling very blissed out this evening - I hope you are too!

No comments: