Sunday 12 October 2008

No more than a list

I have been meaning to post something all week so that my previous two posts are not just hanging there. I am still in two minds about my private blog - there is a part of me that feels I need to write about what is going on but there is a part of me that says "why should you feel you have to hide it away?" I guess it is so hard because I am someone who goes all the way with the things I do and this just seems so half-hearted - I would normally either keep my mouth shut or be open with all those around me about it. It feels weird because I am writing it as a blog because I feel I want some support but I am actually shutting off that support by keeping it private. And having those last two posts at the top of my blog just keeps reminding me I have to work this out and as I cannot decide just yet I thought I'd better post something new here.

But I can't decide what to write about so I thought I would just write a list of updates for you all on what is happening chez Amanda!

  1. I love my job. Seriously. I used to spend my weekends thinking about how I could get out of the work I did (because however much I loved care work it was so tiring I couldn't imagine doing it for the rest of my life). Now I just look forward to spending as much time as I can where I work. Especially as I have the opportunity to train as a tour guide for free and have the assistance of Russian and German speaking guides to help me improve my languages in a useful way - how cool!
  2. I also love my job because the people I work with are so lovely. I especially love the fact that we have a good laugh, especially when I say odd things (as I often do) or do something very "Amanda-like" (you gotta know me to know what I mean by this!) Anyway they genuinely care for each and every other person of the team. And as such they have offered T the chance to work as a casual member of staff until his new job finish all their checks on his health and references etc before letting him start.
  3. I even love my job when there are only two of us on the desk and I have to man it all by myself - it gives me a buzz that I am already trusted to do work to a high standard. Whoo!
  4. T and I joined a church last weekend. We have been thinking of doing this for ages but we just never got around to it. I miss the community part of it all and we both knew we needed something regular to kick us up the butts and get us remembering the make time for our spirituality. We were so happy to find the Unitarian church near to us where the people meet in a very open manner where the similarities the members have are more important than the differences, yet the differences are valued as a way to analyse one's own faith. The first service we went to was an evening service or silence, prayer and lighting candles. There were only 4 of us and the minister and it was so beautiful. We went to the morning service today and the minister (who used to be a professional jazz musician) played his bass for us :o)
  5. We also went to a Mind, Body and Soul show yesterday where we heard Lucinda Drayton singing, which reminded us of some of the first weekends we were together as a couple. It is almost our 1 year anniversary and we heard her play that first weekend when we moved from friendship to partners and it almost went disastrously wrong. I also got to meet an old friend who I have missed and didn't know would be there. I was suddenly wrapped in the biggest hug I've ever had - what a surprise!!
  6. T took me driving today - I am still terrified of driving so there were a few tears. But we had a good old giggle when the L plates when flying off the car and we had to turn around and run back along the road looking for it.

I think that's it for now - all in all good stuff. We are very blessed, despite the problems we're facing and we are so lucky to be reminded of all this.

Have a lovely week. xx

3 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Amanda, good girl for getting out in the car...keep going you will get there in the end. After a while you just do it all without even thnking.
It is goog to love your job, so many people I know do not...at the moment with the credit crunch and all.
Have a great weekend.
Carolxxx

Vintage to Victorian said...

Hi Amanada

Hee hee - you made me smile in your comment on my blog about wanting the cooker and never getting it! Hannah always wanted a Fisher Price garage and when she was older we used to joke that she was a deprived child because she didn't have one. Soooo ... guess what I found as part of her 30th birthday present! Yep, on Ebay! She cried!

You had some lovely heirlooms to play with though, didn't you. As did Han - we still have the little wooden table and chairs and the dolls house my father made for me in the early 1950s.

Chastity said...

You shouldn't look at the privacy of your other blog as "hiding it away". As you know, I have a private blog about something very personal, and I've never thought of it like that. I just look at it as a way for me to gain support from others and to share my story, but I know myself well enough to know that with this specific topic if I made the blog public then I would hold back and wouldn't have shared even half of what I have.

- I'm so happy you love your job. Not many people can say that, so I hope you're able to stick with it! Also, loving co-workers is also a major thing in the workplace. Congrats to you!!

- I'm ecstatic that you guys have chosen a church. Churches are all so different, and sometimes it just takes looking around and finding the one that suits your beliefs and lifestyle to really feel at home in church. I'm just so happy for you guys!