Thursday 16 October 2008

Circus

I've never been to the circus before. I've always wondered what it would be like. Last night I found out because thanks to our local Chinese takeaway and my work we managed to get 3 free tickets to the Chinese State Circus. So T and I took T's brother along as a 21st birthday treat (that we didn't pay for *blushes*) And it was amazing!

Seriously - the skill involved in what these people can do is incredible. We saw ladies spinning plates whilst doing all sorts of acrobatics (who else can keep 12 plates spinning whilst having another person stood on top of their heads!!), men doing all sorts of incredible flying leaps through hoops and off swinging bars, we even saw a lion dance :o) Then there was the contortionist who could rest her bottom on her head (ouch) and the man who balanced himself on ever so sharp poles. And let's not forget the man and woman flying around the room held aloft by silks! Amazing...

I wasn't quite so keen on the "narrator" - a man prancing around whilst a pre-recorded narrative was played - nor did I enjoy the man with swords (he seemed far too much like an energetic child playing warrior - although I am sure lots of skill actually goes into what he does). And the people who blatantly ignored the "please do not use cameras" message seriously got on my nerves (how rude). But all in all I had a wonderful evening.

I don't think I would like any other circus - freak shows and clowns just don't do it for me - but the skill that was shown last night just took my breath away. Even when the ladies didn't quite master all their tricks with the diabolo it was still a great piece to watch and I found myself clapping even harder to let them know it didnt matter - I still loved them!

I won't forget last night for a long time - if ever!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you who are following my private blog I have just put up a new message. Let me know if you want to be informed when I update or whether you'll just check yourself every now and then.

5 comments:

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chastity said...

I think most circuses have gotten away from the clown thing and gone towards more stunts and daredevil stuff. We went to the circus in New York City three years ago when we were on vacation, and it was pretty awesome.

(Sorry about that last comment...I was signed in under my husband's name, lol)

Claire said...

Oooooh Amanda I have never been to the circus and you may have just sparked an interest!

In regard to your comment on my blog it is lovely to be back in blogland and I missed you too! I knew you'd agree that the sideboard is most definitely a girl!

Clairey xxx

ReadyGo said...

Amanda, I'd love to see your private blog, it's so nice to find a friend! Thank you for your comment, and I hope all is well for you. I love your circus post! :)

this is my patch said...

I have often wondered what this circus is like, it visits our area every so often. I have a photo of me as a child at Chipperfields holding a lion cub, when a circus had animals! x