Monday 27 October 2008

Freak out!

Am I the only person who hates horror movies? They scare the hell out of me - quite literally. Heck, I can scare myself silly by watching things a million miles away from horror - I can't help it, my imagination is just too wild. It makes me a great writer - but means anything I can respond to by putting myself in the character's situation (which, btw, I do naturally) is either the greatest book/film/series ever or the one that will haunt my dreams for far too long.

Why am I telling you this, it seems a bit random, right? Well this weekend we watched a programme about our nation's favourite horror moments. T LOVES horror movies and I feel bad when he has to watch them alone - especially when he would love to watch one this weekend. But just watching the clips from these movies kinda freaked me out. I was doing so well and T was even impresed I'd watched 28 Days Later when at uni, but then we saw a clip from Ring - not THE Ring but the original Japanese version. Omg, the moment when the corpse crawled out of the tv scared me so much I couldn't walk down my hallway for fear she'd be there. I'm 24 for crying out loud - I shouldn't be so irrationaly scared by these things anymore. But I am.

Maybe it's in my genes. One of the first dates my parents went on was to watch The Exorcist. My mum was so freaked out that my Grandma had to get out of bed and turn all the lights on in the house for weeks every time my mum wanted the toilet during the night. I'm not quite that bad - but I will curl up next to T and I cannot help noticing every sound and flicker in the shadows. Silly, huh?

But it's not just horror that scares me - I get scared by episodes of Doctor Who and The Lost Room. Has anyone seen The Lost Room? The man in the room scared the crap out of me - when they saw him in the photo a shiver ran down my spine and all I could think of that night was the man. He wasn't even sinister in the show - but that didn't matter. And have you seen the episode of Doctor Who where the Angel statues come to life and chase you when you blink? Ack - I thought they were coming to get me.

Sometimes a creative and overactive imagination can be good - like I say I am never bored and I can easily knock up a story for a child if no books are available. But sometimes that same imagination can just creep me out. Do any of you have this problem... or am I just a freak?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I'm with you, I don't watch scary movies EVER. I saw Nightmare on Elm Street at the movies when I was dating my husband and that was IT! Never again. I do love Dr Who, he is soooo handsome so I am distracted enough by his gorgeousness to not be scared. But horror movies ... no way! OH I just remembered another terribly horrifying movie I saw, Have You Checked The Children that was soooooo scary, horrid, awful.

Carol said...

Thank you for the hug...sending one back to you too...I did love a horror movies but find them mostly boring now. I read The Excorist as a teenage and could not put the book down...the movie just didn't compare.
xx

Redwoodhouse said...

ohhh I so agree with you I do not like horror films or programmes. I can't get them out of my mind sometimes especially at night time.
Jan

this is my patch said...

I haven't been able to watch a horror movie for years. Ever since The Scream series and The Candyman I just can't stomach them. To be honest I never really enjoyed watching them anyway. After watching something remotely scary on the TV I have to make sure the bedroom curtains properly meet in the middle without any gaps, my other half thinks this is hilarious. x

Simone said...

I used to love watching horror movies when I was a teenager but they just do not do anything for me anymore. I think there are too many 'horrors' on the news and in newspapers to warrant me watching any more horrible things. I'd much rather watch a period drama. Saying that, a lot of those can be scary too!