Thursday 4 October 2007

A paid education

I thought it was about time I told you all about my new job.

I work for an agency who supply support workers to university students who have been assessed to require assistance in certain areas of their studies. My current work includes 7 hours per week taking notes in lectures for students with hearing impairments and 7 hours per week typing up said notes plus up to 30 hours per week (but rarely exceeding 16) as a PA to a student in a wheelchair who needs help getting round campus.

I love my job because I love helping people and I get to meet so many new faces. But more than that, I get to learn all sorts of new things. These past few weeks I've been to illustration lectures on Pop Art, Criminology lectures discussing postmodernism and computing lectures including information on decision making and debates on ethics and morality. And instead of paying for my education and being stressed about proving my ability in the subject I am being paid to turn up, listen and simply repeat what is said - you can't get much better than that now can you?

4 comments:

Shelby said...

I think that would absolutely be the perfect job. Man alive, you did good. :)

so tell us what you're learning this week..

Victoria May Plum said...

Congratulations on your new job, it sounds just perfect for you, and so rewarding.

How is your new business venture going? let me know when you have another giveaway - I can't resist!!

Victoria x

Joanna said...

That sounds so good and no exams for you. I loved my lectures on postmodernism.

Angel Jem said...

That sounds like my kind of job.... I wonder how you got it? I mean, is it an ordinary supply agency? (Yes, I'm desperate for regular work, can you tell?)