Thursday 14 May 2009

Laparoscopy update

My laparoscopy went well - the consultant told me he didn't expect to find much as my scan last summer showed nothing to be worried about. So he was hugely surprised to find stage 3 endo which had stuck my right ovary to my abdominal wall, my uterus to my rectum and other spots around the ureter and utero-sacral ligaments. Just goes to show how little scans can show and how random endometriosis can be.

I was incredibly sick after the op and had to be kept in over night and given 3 huge bags of fluids as I just could not keep anything down but have managed to eat both breakfast and lunch today. I have a ridiculously sore throat and a nasty piece of skin or something hanging down from that little hangy down bit at the back of your throat which is annoying the hell out of me but every attempt to remove it just makes me retch and there is no way I am losing yet another meal that way - I need my nutrients so I'm having to deal with the annoyingness of it.

Pain wise I feel better than I have in months, aside from the gas pains - oh the gas pains I'd forgotten just how painful they can be plus I'm sore from throwing up. They think I threw up more this time because they flushed extra gas through my system to check they had made no holes in my bowel clearing the adhesions. I've been told to stay off work until at least nest Wednesday so that is what I plan to do.

I might go have another nap now. Be back with some normal blogging soon.

UPDATE: The thing at the back of my throat is pus (eeeewww tmi?) as I have an infected uvula from the tube they stick down your throat during the op. I got antibiotics yesterday but feel like crap - headache, throat so sore my whole mouth including my jaws and teeth hurt so bad I can hardly bear to eat just the minimum to keep taking painkillers and antibiotics, and general sicky feeling. 

The gas pains however are much better - I managed to even get in the bath for a quick soak today (with T's assistance to get back out again - there was no way I could do that myself). All in all I'm glad I told my work I'd be extending my leave from Monday to Thursday - gives the antibiotics more chance to kick in. 

3 comments:

Nicole aka Bithya said...

Hi Hun..glad you are fine!

HUGS

Simone said...

Hello Amanda. I am sorry to hear that you have been going through a tough time. Hopefully you will be getting better over the next few days. Take care of yourself. x

Jeanne said...

Amanda,

I'm glad you have the laparoscopy behind you. It sounds like it was very needed!

I'm not sure why anyone would comment about being surprised at how extensive the endometrial implants were when, like you said, your situation goes to show how little scans show with endometriosis.

It's no wonder you have been feeling so ill. It sounds like they found quite a bit of endo.

I'm sorry you were so sick after the surgery.

I know how sick you must have been for them to keep you overnight after a lap when hospitals seem to be all-too-anxious to push people out the doors after surgery these days. (Frankly, I think all lap patients should be kept overnight because I know how sick I always get and I've talked to so many other women with similar experiences).

Doctors always seem to downplay recovery time for laps and minimize their impact. This has always irritated me.

As far as the complications you've had following surgery with your infected uvula, that does not sound fun. I'm sorry. I can only imagine the gag reflex that caused. I'm really sorry.

I'm really glad you are experiencing pain relief. That's great!

I have had that gas for 6 of my 7 surgeries plus I've had it for other procedures and I know how terrible the pain from the CO2 gas is! I'm sorry about that too. I can only imagine how extra gas must feel.

It's good that they were checking for bowel perforations, though. It sounds like it was quite an extensive surgery!

Did you get a copy of your operative report? I always get mine and always suggest others get theirs.

I'm blown away that they are having you go back to work so soon given your overnight stay and infection. So they gave you a measly 3 days extra?

If you're not feeling up to returning to work by then (which wouldn't surprise me), I wouldn't hesitate to tell your doctor's office you need more time.

I realize this may be tricky with work but taking care of your body has to be top priority and you've been through a lot.

Personally, I don't understand why 1 week isn't the bare minimum for anyone returning to work at even the most sedentary job after a lap for endo.

I have never understood why doctors send lap patients back to work so soon after surgery.

I have talked with SO many women over the years who need more time than what their doctors give them to recover before returning to work.

I personally think it's wrong to push patients back to work too soon.

Some patients recover more quickly than others and some might be fine with the schedule most doctors seem to follow but most women I've encountered in 17 years of participating with or acting as group leader of endometriosis support groups have felt the need for more time than the doctors give.

It makes me angry, quite frankly, that women are pushed back to work when they are still so sick after surgery.

You are smart to be taking naps and to take your time with the non-essentials like blogging to facilitate recovery.

Your body just went through a great deal.

So do they think the uvula infection is what's causing the pain in your teeth and jaw? Glad T is helping you. Goodness knows I always need help with things like that after a lap.

I hope you feel better very soon! I'm sorry you've been through so much but I'm glad that you have felt pain relief since they removed the endo.

Take care,

Jeanne
xo