Friday 19 December 2008

Ice Skating - OUCH!

T and I went to my work's do last night - at the outdoor skating rink and German Christmas Market. As we are part of city centre management who have dealt with these things coming into town it was great to go and see it. We even got to go ice skating for free!!

Not everybody was brave enough to have a go but those of us who did had a great time. I was amazed at how well people were doing - I personally fell over twice within my first lap and once again on my last. T had to show me how to actually skate (I didn't know I had to bend my ankles inwards to balance) and he held my hand as I went round to begin with (having had to pick me up off the floor twice when I tried on my own!)

When I was younger we went skating a couple of times at a place which had a two level ice skating rink. I would always end up in a heap at the bottom of the slope going down to the lower rink and attendants would have to come and save me. I was glad this rink was on one level and not quite so crowded.

The rink was so wet though - as soon as I fell over the first time my jeans were soaked straight through from ankle to bum. *BLEUGH* After that that I thought it didn't matter if I fell again and just went for it...

Of course the second time I went down I wasn't wearing any gloves and smacked my palm against the ice so hard I have bruised it. I wondered why it hurt so much. And then the last time I fell quite badly on the base of my spine and smacked my right elbow on the ice - followed swiftly by T falling on top of me as he had tried to catch me before I fell. Oh the heroics...

shame he didn't get wet as well!! I didn't think to take spare clothes so had to sit for another hour or so in soaking wet jeans in the ice cafe (although the non-alcoholic mulled wine made up for that!) and then froze as we waited for our bus to take us home. Needless to say, I jumped straight in a steaming hot bath when I got home.

Today I ache quite a bit but have very happy memories of the night out. We almost missed it as I got my dates wrong but I am so glad we didn't. It was great spending some social time with the guys I work with. And I told my supervisor that if I complain about my pain today he is entitled to tell me it's all my own fault... the way I'm feeling I probably will complain - do you think he'll do as I said?

"Ow my back hurts!"

"It's your own fault, Amanda!"

"Ow my arm hurts!"

"Seriously, Amanda, you said..."

Yeah... I think he might just enjoy that :o)

1 comment:

Redwoodhouse said...

Your ice skating sounds like great fun well done you for giving it a go....
There is nothing like a hot steamy bath when you are really chilled is there, wet cold clothes are not at all nice.
I wish you and you Mr A Very Happy Christmas ....
Stay cosy
Jan