Sunday 2 November 2008

Rant

Ok - so since I've decided to write just what I think I'm going to do something I've never really done before on m blog - I'm going to tell you all about how annoying some of the tourists are that come into my workplace.

Now, I'm not going to be cruel - on the whole I love my job and the people I serve - but just occasionally I get riled up beyond belief at how much they expect us to be able to do. Seriously, when we say there is no way we can do something, why do people still insist that not only is there something we can do about it but that we MUST do it.

Yesterday, for example, I had an Italian lady and her teenage son come in asking for accommodation. We have two options for people wanting accommodation - we have a guide with all of the accommodation providers we work with listed in it, complete with map references and everything you'd need to find a place or we can find a place for people based on their specifications and charge a £5 booking fee for the time we take doing it and take a 10% deposit from the accommodation provider (because they get the business through us). Make sense so far? So, I am talking to this lady and she is saying she wants a twin room for £40 max. You're lucky to even get a single room for that price, especially when you come in the day you want the accommodation for. So I explain to her that the bare minimum for a twin room would be £50 IF she had booked weeks ago but as she wanted it today there would be limited availability and it would be more expensive. I know these things - I book accommodation for people every single day. This is why we have the service, it takes the stress away from people who do not know the area. And most people are happy to have someone who knows the area to book somewhere for them. But not this lady - she was insistent that she wanted one for £50 max now and no more.

I spent 45 minutes with this lady, ringing every single provider I could think of. There was nothing for less than £60. She insisted I ring the youth hostel, which I did, and they had a twin room for just short of £60 for one of the nights she wanted to stay but not the other. Seriously - if the youth hostel is charging that much per night then you really won't get anywhere cheaper. But still she would not believe me. Eventually I found a room - a family room that would normally go for £75 but out of sheer desperation I managed to meet a compromise with the guest house that if I didn't take the 10% deposit she would give them it for £60. That's £15 off and yet the lady still complained that it was 20 minutes away by bus (a direct bus route I might add) because she wanted to be closer to the city. OMG can I just say that at this point I felt like walking away.

Eventually she took it. And she left. And I told my manager. He said next time if someone gets like that I should just give them the guide and tell them if they think they can find somewhere cheaper then they can do it themselves. Sounds rude doesn't it? But seriously - I don't have 45 minutes to spare on a busy Saturday afternoon when the customer is just being stubborn.

It's not just people like this lady either - you get the other side of the coin too. You'll get people come in who think they know more than we do. Fair enough, we don't know everything and we readily admit that. We don't mind people giving us advice and helping us out, seriously we don't. What annoys us is when customers in the queue hear half of the conversation, decide they know more than us and shout across the line that we have got it wrong and the person we are helping should do this and that rather than what we have suggested. To which, I have discovered, you just have to turn round, smile sweetly, and say "yes they COULD do that IF..." and fill in the blank with whatever reason you have already discovered to not suggest such a thing to them. It may be that we have been told the place is closed that day or that the customer we are helping has told us they aren't interested in such and such. We spend day in and day out dealing with such requests - we know what we are talking about. Like I say - I have no issue with people suggesting things and sometimes people have good ideas - it is when they butt in and say things we have already thought about because they haven't heard the whole conversation. It just seems so rude.

So we have the people who think we can work miracles and find them cheap accommodation (which is impossible where I live anyway) 2 hours before they want it (why oh why do people leave it to the last minute?) and then we have the opposite side of things when people come in and assume we are useless. We also have the people who think we are ripping them off by asking for 30p for a city map. I know there are free maps in othe cities but we don't get as much funding as other cities because they know tourists will come whether they fund the service or not. We don't have the money to provide maps free to everyone. And besides - free maps are usually cheaply made - ours are glossy, colour coded maps with every single street marked on them and all the one way systems marked down. And it's only 30p - if you can't afford 30p in this town you really can't afford to be here.

So there you go - my gripes about work. I still love it - 95% of the time it is fantastic. But occasionally, just occasionally, you get some really annoying people who test you to the limit. And sometimes you just need to rant!

6 comments:

Redwoodhouse said...

What a post, it is good to hear the thoughts of the person behind the desk, what a very demanding Italian lady, people do so often only see it from their point. I will think of your post if I am ever in this situation and be a very nice understanding tourist.
Jan

Acornmoon said...

now you have got that off your chest, I would like a room with a view, balcony, en-suite, tea and coffee making facilities, for £40, including breakfast, free taxi, sauna, champagne would be nice, oh yes, and I would like some roses, pink, I don't like red, quick, jump to it! (only joking of course).

Anonymous said...

I think you have every right to gripe, it's rude of people to butt in when you are speaking and to complain about last minute booking fees.

Don't feel bad about my problem, I have a month to book, it's not high season and we're just staying in caravan parks. I'm pretty confident we will get a cabin for each night. LOL you are funny.

I work as a bank teller and we get every winger and complainer at one time or another. It's all part of working with the general public I guess.

Simone said...

I don't think I could work with the general public! It is good that you can get things off your chest in blogland. I don't think I would have had your patience. I would like to have put up the 'closed' sign and bid her farewell!

this is my patch said...

After spending 25 years in an office-based environment, I have just started a new job in customer services! My, what a shock! I so agree with you, you are tested to the limit. On one bad day, I too very nearly chucked the towel in. The pleasant customers do seem to outweigh the unpleasant, thank goodness. At least I now know who to come too when I need a cheap room! x

Gretel said...

I think this is typical of most things which require in depth customer service - that sounds particularly trying and well done for dealing with it so professionally. I spent ten years in retail and have had customer experiences that make my hair curl in retrospect...the best time was working in Waterstones, especially at Christmas when the chop filled with 80% of people who never go into a bookshop at any other time. 'I want a book on sheep' was a particular favourite.