Saturday 1 September 2007

Full steam ahead

I've been so busy working on various projects I can't believe that my dream of crafting for more than pleasure is finally happening. I've got a long way to go before I have a business running but I am getting there and I can finally see results!

I've been writing small poems to go inside some Christmas cards and started working on some Iris Folding designs to go with them - I just finished my first prototype and am so happy with how it came out I am sure I can knock up quite a few and start trying to sell some on etsy. I'd post a picture but need to borrow my sister's camera (as mine is broken) and she is currently laid in bed having spent the night being sick so the photos will have to wait until she wakes up and I can steal her camera (and take her some wholesome food of course!)

My protoype of my handmade books has a few kinks which need straightening out but I am hopeful they won't take too long. I'm working on typesetting the next two and then hopefully by the end of this week I should have working examples of two poetry books and one children's book! I can't wait to show them to you all!

I have so many other ideas I'd like to try out to but I have to be reasonable - I start work full-time again soon so I need to make sure I have time to do a few things well than lots of things badly! I'm using my free time at the moment to wash all my clothes and sort out my wardrobe putting aside what isn't needed right now and sending what I no longer wear to charity. I feel the need to move the energies so lots of things, books included, are being sold or donated and it feels good. I'm ready for a fresh start!

The summer for me has been a bit of standing still and fretting. I am still readjusting to no longer being a student and actually having a choice over what I want to do now. When I left the nursery in April I wanted to set up a business but fear took over and I found myself desperately searching for jobs which paid more. I am only recently realising just how incredibly lucky I am and in doing so I stopped stressing, started believing and trusting the right thing would come to me and sure enough it seems to have arrived...

I've got a meeting on Tuesday with the student support officer at my local university and all being well I should come out of the meeting with a pretty much full-time job which is perfect for me. Fingers crossed!!

I love this time of year - it always feels like a new beginning - far more than any other time of year, even New Year. I think it comes from having spent 18 years in education and September being the beginning of a fresh year! My mindset is simply stuck on September being the start of something new! So I am so happy right now to be getting out of my rut and fully working towards what I want... I'm finally enjoying where I am right now for the first time in perhaps my entire life and I am loving it!

Have a wonderful weekend
Amanda xx

No comments: