Saturday 15 September 2007

Chalice Well

(I seem to have lost my photos for the post - sorry I shall try and fix it later but currently have to run - you know how it is!!)
As you know, I went to Glastonbury last weekend to meet up with some friends I met online. We did this for the first time last year and had such a good time we decided to do it again this year! These friends are very special to me because they have seen me through some of the hardest times of my life... and have, in particular, supported me as I have grappled with some fairly deep spiritual crises!

I don't think I've ever mentioned anything about my beliefs on here, because I tend to shy away from doing so too much because my blog isn't about my spirituality. I am pretty "new age" although I hate using that word because my experience is it is used to cover so many things that most people haven't got a clue what it means. But I have to tell you that a trip to Glastonbury - with all its spiritual connections - especially with people I love and respect deeply was a very special treat indeed!

One of the places we just have to go to is the Chalice Well because it is just such a beautiful place to visit and so peaceful. The picture at the top of this post was taken there and explains part of the reason I love the place so much! I am a nature girl and flowers make me so happy and as you will see in the photos below the whole place is blooming with wildlife!


Not long after we arrived we (the three of us who went together) sat on the following stone bench, surrounded by leaves, meditating and praying in silence - it was beautiful!


Especially because we had the angel below sat right behind us!


We then walked down towards the healing waters and saw one of the holy thorn trees. This particular thorn tree is said (according to legend) to have descended from the original which sprouted from Joseph of Arimathea's staff when he visited Glastonbury. It apparently flowers at Christmas and Easter!!


I love how people tie ribbons to the trees around the garden and leave candles burning by statues because it just adds to the wonder of the place!

We drank from the healing waters just beneath the thorn tree. The waters come from two springs further up the hill (which we also visited and which I might tell you about in a later post if I decide it isn't too "spiritual" for my blog). The two springs represent the masculine and feminine aspects of life - each having different mineral contents in them. The water tastes so strange because it has so many minerals we aren't used to tasting.

I forgot to take a picture of the place where we drank the water from as I was so busy running further down the hill to the place where we walked through the water and where I cleansed my crystals. The following picture is taken by the place where you can walk through the water and I love it because, to me, it is so symbolic of the doorway between the worlds and also where the future is hidden but we can sometimes see the path we will take through the doorway we are about to choose!


This is the waterfall where the water comes down from the place where you can drink from to the place where you can walk through it. Note how red the stone is where the water has passed - that is due to the water itself!

And here are my crystals, freshly washed :o)



We then moved right down to the bottom of the gardens, where there is grass and more running water. I felt so light and happy I skipped down with my friend (but I really wanted to dance and sing and do cartwheels but didn't dare *blushes*)

It was here that we saw evidence of the Faeries who live here - here is the little Faery bridge (sorry it's a bit wonky!!):


And here is the laundry I spotted on a makeshift washing line, hehe!


Thanks for journeying through Chalice Well Gardens with me today - I have such fond memories of my time there and truly wish that everybody could visit it because it really is one of the most beautiful places on earth!!

No comments: