Sunday 2 September 2007

Christmas Cards


Here are the first two samples of my Christmas cards. I have a set of poems which are related to the designs I am using. All my work is based around poems or stories. I'm thinking of selling some of these on etsy - let me know what you think!

The cards are made using Iris Folding techniques which I just learnt how to do and I have used tissue paper for these particular designs. I need to work on making sure my edges are straight because right now they are still a little rough because I've never used a craft knife before and my only ruler is plastic, not metal, so I keep cutting into it! But I am perfecting my technique with each sample so hopefully by the time I have made a whole set of prototypes I'll be ready to set to doing whole bunches of saleable products!

I can't tell you how much I wish I had a better quality camera so I could show you these in far better detail. Once I start working again and get some cash together I think it's going to be a necessary luxury! I'm just lucky at the moment that I have some good quality craft supplies stocked up from previous years otherwise I wouldn't be able to do any of this right now! I think once my first full paycheck comes in I'm gonna go on a crafter's frenzy hehe!


So this is the first card. My sister loves this one! The poem inside is:

Christmas lantern burning bright
lighting up this winter night
casting shadows to and fro
dancing on the world below

My sister isn't quite so keen on my second design, although I love it! She thinks it would be much better with just one big Christmas tree instead of two little ones - I disagree but accept that my taste may not be what others are looking for so your comments on this particular one would be very helpful for me!

The poem inside this card is:

Christmas tree beside the fire
hiding treasures I desire
will I find beneath your boughs
the gifts I'm dreaming of right now?

So those are the two I have so far - I've got a bauble and star design to go and depending upon how good my own Iris Folding design goes I may also have a fireplace and snowman. I am so excited and also, I have to say, quite glad that today is not quite as sunny as yesterday because although it's still warm and pleasant, looking out at the grogeous sunshine yesterday was doing nothing for my ability to think Christmassy!!

And just as a final treat - a picture to show just how much of a messy crafter I am *blushes*... I can't help it - I get so wrapped up in creating things that order dissolves at times like these and I have to have a major clear up afterwards. It's a good job my parents are on holiday this week because my mum would have kittens if she saw what I'd done to her dining table!


Have a lovely Sunday, all
Amanda xx

6 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm Erika's mom, in California. I always enjoy seeing your comments on her blog so I wanted to check yours out. Your Christmas cards and poems are beautiful; you are quite talented! I hope your commercial venture with them works out.

You sound like the perfect person to work with the disabled at camp--very capable and lots of fun. Your camper was a lucky girl.

Amanda and Tim said...

Hi Teresa!

Thank you so much for popping over to my blog and leaving such a warm and lovely comment!

Have a wondeful day!

Ragged Roses said...

You're not the only one who works in a mess Amanda! I have to have all my fabrics and bits all over the place when I work. Love the cards, good luck with them
Kimx

Shelby said...

The cards are great!

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I love the poems. They are so christmassy and cosy. I'm sure you'll do really well with them.

Cherry xxx

Amanda and Tim said...

Thank you all for your support! xx